Cricket SA Notes Quinton de Kock’s Decision Not to Take the Knew in T20 World Cup

Picture: Wayne Ludbey

Cricket South Africa (CSA) says it has noted the personal decision by South African wicketkeeper Quinton de Kock not to “take the knee” ahead of Tuesday’s game against the West Indies.

De Kock made himself unavailable for South Africa selection at the T20 World Cup on Tuesday after the nation’s governing body issued a directive to its players that they must take a knee before the start of remaining matches.

CSA said all players had been required, in line with a directive of the CSA Board on Monday evening, to “take the knee” in a united and consistent stance against racism. 

It says this is also the global gesture against racism that has been adopted by sportspeople across sporting codes because they recognise the power of sport to bring people together.

“After considering all relevant issues, including the freedom of choice of players, the Board had made it clear it was imperative for the team to be seen taking a stand against racism, especially given SA’s history. The Board’s view was that while diversity can and should find expression in many facets of daily lives, this did not apply when it came to taking a stand against racism.” 

CSA says the board will await a further report from team management before deciding on the next steps and that all players are expected to follow this directive for the remaining games of the World Cup.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.