Two Children Die After being Electrocuted from Illegal Connections

Picture: Henk Kruger/African News Agency

Two children have died after being electrocuted from illegal electricity connections at the Mangolongolo informal settlement near Cleveland.

It is understood the incident happened on Saturday after the children tripped on an exposed live electricity wire.

City Power’s Isaac Mangena has warned residents against the dangers of illegal connections.

“Mangolongolo is one of the hotspots of illegal connections in the City of Johannesburg, where City Power infrastructure, including streetlights, have been vandalised. We have had at least 21 electrocution cases in the past two financial years, with 6 this year.”

Mangena says not only are illegal connections deadly, but they cost the city millions in lost revenue.


City Power acting CEO has sent condolences to the family of the two children.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.