At least 60 students have been hospitalised following a suspected gas leak at a student residence of a university in Parktown.
Paramedics say they were called to the scene on Sunday night after numerous students complained of shortness of breath.
ER24’s Russel Meiring said on arrival, emergency workers found the students aged 18 and older had already evacuated the buildings.
“Medics set up a triage area and began to tend to the patients, assessing approximately 170 people. After the assessments, medics transported roughly 60 patients to nearby hospitals in the area. The remaining patients declined further treatment or transportation to a hospital.”
Meiring said the exact details surrounding the incident is unknown, but local authorities were on the scene for further investigations.